Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Packing lists and dreaming of care packages....

...Pondering... While standing in line at the post office....

A few things that I have found/thought about while looking at Peace Corps stuff, if (fingers crossed) I am right about going to Malawi there is a new Lonely Planet guide coming out on the 10th of March. It not only covers Malawi, but also Zambia (here I come Perry). There is also a new Lonely Planet Southern Africa Guide that is coming out on the same day. One of the two I will definitely invest in for when I go over there!

I also shipped a package to my friend in Zambia, and I was surprised at actually how cheap it was (well relatively speaking). I know that the package that I sent will take a while to get there, but for future reference (wink wink) these are the flat rate box prices to send people internationally:

-Large $55.95
-Medium (both shapes) $43.45
-Small $13.95

I sent off a email today to my placement officer also, just to see if they were alive. Just a hey-is-there-anything- that-you-need-from-me email... hopefully I get a response... soon... But in the mean time I am compiling a bunch of packing lists from others who have gone to Malawi or in that general area, and others (they are pretty universal, thought there are a few things that will have to be tailored to fit where I am going. Some of the things that people are bringing don't make sense to me (i swear someone said they brought a pressure cooker), but I will write one down for people when I get it finalized...

I have a question tho for any of you who are applicants.

Almost all the blogs I have read people are bringing their laptops or wish they had. Anyone else contemplating this?


-J



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are still waiting on a nomination, but we have thought about bringing a laptop. We have an old one which we wiped of basically everything but internet; I think we'd bring that one. Mostly I want to bring one because we would also bring a camera and would want a place to store our pictures.

Helen McGuirk said...

I've started making a packing list too! Although I've held off on buying stuff until I get the invitation. As for your computer question, I got a netbook in the fall b/c my old computer is dieing fast. I plan on bringing it with me, but I don't plan on using it that much. Just to store pictures or write quick thoughts down. Also, I'm only going to use it at my home and make sure that no one sees that I have it, at least until I get to know my village better :) Let us know what your placement officer says!

-Helen

Anonymous said...

Yeah I think I would take my macbook with me. I've heard other people talk about using their laptops to write grant proposals and other work they need. So that on top of entertainment purposes (photos, videos, music etc) are large weighing factors in taking it.
I too have been obsessing over packing list and making my own wish list for pc things for my birthday lol it's unavoidable for us all I think :)

jgelose08 said...

I have gotten a few things already, like I needed to get a couple of bags that didnt have wheels, I got a pretty cool one with a built in camel pack in it. But I am holding off on getting other things until I get my invitation. But I do think that I am going to bring a netbook... Its not going to take up that much space so that will be nice, and my camera can only hold so many pictures, and I plan on bringing my external with a bunch of movies on it so in the event that I am able to use it I can watch a movie.... That and I figure that I can write blog posts while im there and then i cant copy and paste so it will be easy to update and i wont spend that much money at an internet cafe...

Post a Comment